3M’s 2022 Global Impact Report highlights the progress we’ve have made toward our goals – as well as the actions we took in 2021 to accelerate our ambitions in environment, social and governance (ESG).
Our actions in sustainability are rooted in our purpose to “Unlock the power of people, ideas and science to reimagine what’s possible” through the actions we take across our Sustainability Framework.
Science for circular: This is the first year we are reporting our progress on recent water and plastic goals and we’ve seen positive movement.
- Since 2019, we have reduced water usage by 10.7% indexed to sales. In addition, we have taken steps to install state-of-the-art water quality systems at some of our largest water using locations around the world.
- In 2021, we reduced over 18 million pounds of virgin-based plastic use.
- By the end of 2021, 45.2% of 3M sites had attained zero landfill status.
Science for climate: Climate change remains one of our greatest challenges, we continue to focus on driving innovations to help provide climate solutions in our operations, products and communities.
- Since 2002, we have reduced our absolute carbon footprint by 75.0%. And since 2019, we have reduced Scope 1 & 2 emissions by 26.1%.
- We’re on target to surpass our 2025 annual renewable energy goal of 50% renewable energy in our operations two years ahead of schedule.
- As of 2021, we’ve helped our customers reduce their GHGs by 100 million tons of CO2 equivalent emissions through the use of 3M products since 2015.
Science for community: In 2021, we continued to take meaningful steps towards a more equitable future and unlocking the power of diversity.
- In 2021, we gave the largest amount in 3M’s history – $88.5 million – in total global giving.
- In 2021, we invested $12.0 million in organizations and schools that promote STEM and skilled trades for underrepresented communities, as well as organizations that assist families and households facing unique challenges from centuries of systemic racism and inequalities that multiply generationally.
- We’ve achieved 100% gender pay equity in our global regions.
Throughout the rest of 2022, we will continue to bring our Purpose and Promise to life through the actions and progress we make on our goals. Join us on our journey of imagining and delivering a better world for everyone.